Thursday, February 26, 2009

‘Jai’ hos

Photobucket

Larry Rosin at Edison Media Research took note of the skanky and extremely lame lyrics in the Pussycat Dolls’ remix/remake of “Jai Ho,” A.R. Rahman’s Oscar-winning song from Slumdog Millionaire:

In an attempt to make the song more palatable for American audiences, it has been re-created with the Pussycat Dolls replacing the original singers.

Let’s take a look at the original lyrics translated from Hindi:
Jai Ho! (Victory to thee!)
Come, come my Life, under the canopy
Come under the blue brocade sky!

Iota by iota, I have lost my life, in faith
I’ve passed this night dancing on coals
I blew away the sleep that was in my eyes
I counted the stars till my finger burned

Come, come my Life, under the canopy
Come under the blue brocade sky!
And now, the Pussycat Dolls lyrics for American consumption:
I got (I got) shivers (shivers),
When you touch my body,
I’ll make you hot,
Get what you got,
I’ll make you wanna say (Jai Ho)

I got (I got) fever (fever),
Running like a fire,
For you I will go all the way,
I wanna take you higher (Jai Ho)

I keep it steady uh-steady,
That’s how I do it.
This beat is heavy, so heavy,
You gonna feel it.

You are the reason that I breathe,
You are the reason that I still believe,
You are my destiny

“I wanna take you higher”? Seriously, Nicole, is that the best you could do?


No comments: